If you’re American, you’ve probably never heard of the Professional Sport of Casting, or the ICSF, but its quite Popular in Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, and Japan, among other places.
As a Vegan I don’t Fish anymore, but I always loved Casting more than Fishing, just like I’ve always loved Archery more than Bow-Hunting.
These are tangible meditative skills that require concentration, focus, patience, practice and skill. It’s really the funnest part, and the real skill and talent portion of hunting or fishing.
There are several Events and I’ll make blogs about different ones later, but this one is about my favorite event, Event 3, Spinning Accuracy, Arenberg Target
This is using a Plug, which you can buy or make, which is 7.5 g. I got mine at an ICSF Exhibition overseas. Here are the specs:
I’ve made an Image of the Arenberg Target with Target Specifications, here:
Its on a Green Background, the Target is around 3.20-3.25 cm Square.
It has 4 rings, at 3.15, 2.55, 1.95, & 1.35 meters wide
Then it has a Black Disk thats 0.75 Meters wide, and no more than 1cm thick
Its best if this center disk is a harder plastic or other material that makes a loud noise or different sound than the rest, so its easy to identify a hit
Event 3 is easily Set up as follows:
- Get your Drop Cloth or Tarp, approximately 3 meters square. It doesn’t have to be green if its just for fun
- Its best if you make holes on the 4 corners you can drive tent stakes into.
- I make another hole in the center I can put another tent stake into
- Use a Black piece of that plastic Foam board from a craft store, and cut it into a big circle, about 75 cm, or about 30 inches
- Get five 1-meter long sticks, like 1/2″ thick x 3″ wide boards, they don’t have to be that long if its not for competition, just whatever you want
- Should officially be painted white, but just plain wood is fine for fun
- Number the 5 Wood starting boards 1-5
- Then what I do is Tie one string around the center of each plank, you could even drill a hole in the center to tie it to.
- Then Tie the other end to a Washer, and be sure the distance from the center of the washer to the front of the board is the following:
- Board 1: 10 Meters
- Board 2: 12 Meters
- Board 3: 18 Meters
- Board 4: 14 Meters
- Board 5: 16 Meters
- You can keep the string wrapped around each board when you’re done.
- Put the washers on the tent stake in the center of the target.
- Put the Wind to your back, and make the front edge of the target facing you
- Put the string from Board 1 directly over the corner of the target, to your left as you face it, and set it down
- Put Board 3 straight in front of the target, right through the middle towards where you were standing
- Put Board 5 directly over the right corner and off to your right at its 16 meter string length
- Set Board 2 between boards 1 & 3
- Set Board 4 between boards 3 & 5
- You’re now set, it should look like my diagram below:
You start with your Plug in hand, but you cannot hold it while casting, as Catapult-casts are all illegal
You get two casts from each station, before moving to the next one.
You start at station 1, then work your way to station 5, then go back to 1 and do it again
Each hit on the black disk is worth 5 points.
There are a total of 20 casts, and 100 points are possible in all, for a perfect score
Dragging through the target doesn’t count.
You have 5 minutes to make all 20 casts.
You have to perform the proper cast at the proper station, here they are, explained:
Station 1 – Under-hand Pendulous Cast: This is properly executed when the plug is under the rod by delivery. Minimum length of overhang is 50 cm to the eye of the plug. Any posture of the caster is allowed.
Station 2 – Right-Body Side Cast (Open Cast, if you’re Right-handed) : This is properly executed, while delivering the cast: The rod-tip must travel at least 1 metre from the right side of the casting direction and the rod and the casting hand are to the right of the casting direction, which is the line between the centre of the caster and the target centre. The rod tip shall not travel higher than the horizontal plane when delivering the cast. Any posture of the caster is allowed, no matter if the rod is in front or behind the starting board. Dragging of the plug on the ground is prohibited and scores 0 points. Length of pendulum is unrestricted.
Station 3 – Over-head Cast: This is properly executed when the rod tip before the delivery is over the head of the caster. The rod has to be propelled between the horizontal and the vertical plane. Any length of overhang. Any posture of the caster is allowed.
Station 4 – Left-Body Side Cast (Closed Cast, if you’re Right-handed): This is properly executed while delivering the cast: The rod-tip must travel at least 1 metre from the left side of the casting direction and the rod and the casting hand are to the left of the casting direction, which is the line between the centre of the caster and the target centre. The rod tip shall not travel higher than the horizontal plane when delivering the cast. Any posture of the caster is allowed, no matter if the rod is in front or behind the starting board. Dragging of the plug on the ground is prohibited and scores 0 points. Length of pendulum is unrestricted.
Station 5 – Your Choice: This last one is your choice, but no catapulting, and you must still follow the rules above.
Here are some Casting Images: