This method uses Dreamweaver to create a type of Database Query functionality, while keeping your data secure. This creates kind of a read only copy of everything it is linked to, though anything you access from the site and edit can just be used to overwrite the original, provided you keep the original name and location in tact.
Step 1 – Create Your Page:
- Open Dreamweaver
- Menu > Site > New Site
- Browse to the Folder you want to make the site for
- File > New > HTML Document
- File > Convert > HTML 5
- File > Save > Browse to the Same folder & click Save
Step 2 – Set Up Your Page:
- Click Page properties in the Properties Panel, or Right-Click > Properties
- Appearance (CSS) > Select your text size, font, color, margins, and background image/color
- Links (CSS) > Select color/rollover/visited/active colors, size, font & how/if to underline links
- Title/Encoding > Give your page a title of whatever is in the folder, and set the Encoding.
Step 3 – Add Content to Your Page:
- Open the folder with the content you want to Add
- Set it to the File Details View
- Sort by File Type
- Open a Command Prompt in that folder, you can use Lopesoft FileMenuTools and right click any folder to open a command prompt from it.
- Type the following:
dir /b > list.txt
- Hit Enter
- Open the new list.txt file in the folder
- Copy all of the file names except list.txt, which you can delete.
- Paste the List into your HTML document
- You can delete the extension, if you prefer to, through the Find Dialog (Ctrl+F), then clicking the “-” between the Find and Replace boxes to delete any other parameters, then type your extensions into the Find and leave Replace Blank, then click Replace All.
- Put your Cursor on the first item in the list on your Page
- Click the Folder Icon to the Right of “Link” in the Properties Box
- Select the Corresponding File
- Repeat with the Rest of the Items
- You can also insert an Icon to click by going to Type the Menu > Insert > Image, then selecting an Icon you want to accompany your text, such as an MSWord image, or MSExcel, or JPG, etc. You can find any icon images you want online.
- Place the Image near your text however you like, and resize it as you like, then click on “Link” in the Properties Box, select the same file as the File Name is linked to.
- Repeat with the rest
- For Images or things you want to open in a new window, set the “Target” in the Properties Pane to “_blank”.
- If you want to add a Music File or a Movie, etc, got to Menu > Insert > Media > Plugin, and browse to the Media File.
- Set the H & W Dimensions, for Chrome & Quicktime Audio, make it at least 115w x 56h.
- Click on Parameters in the Properties Panel
- Click “+” and add the following:
- Click OK
- Save the HTML Document
- Preview in your Browser
- Clicking on a link should ask you to Save or Open the file, or may just Save, depending on your browser settings.
You can repeat these steps with all your other folders you want to have this interface for.
You can also then create another Site which links to all the other folder sited and use it as a Table of Contents page.
New Files you add to the folder will also need to be added to the HTML.
Alternatively, if you wish to copy everything to a new folder on import, you can create your Site in a new folder, and copy all the images, documents, and media to the new folder, and then wherever you put that folder, the site will work, such as to your phone, etc.